These 4 rom-coms are arguably my favorite of all time, and had mild success in the box office, though I'm not sure about how #1 fared.
4. What's Your Number? (2011)
I just recently watched this 6 days ago, and I loved it. Simple romantic comedy that had sweet moments and some laughs in between thanks to Anna Faris' character. The story follows a girl named Ally who realized she has slept with lots of guys. 19, to be exact. And she wants number 20 to be the one, but then... a one-night stand strikes. Ally makes sure she doesn't get over 20, and gets help from her promiscuous neighbor, Colin (played by Chris Evans), to track down her former lovers. Albeit unrealistic, What's Your Number? is still a feel-good film that has its' shining moments.
3. The First Time (2012)
Starring Dylan O'Brien of Teen Wolf fame, this teen romantic-comedy is his first feature film where he plays the main character. If he plays his cards right, O'Brien will be as big as Logan Lerman. In fact, he will star in the book-to-movie film, The Maze Runner that may or may not jumpstart his career. He plays his role as Dave well, and although I'm not a fan of his co-star Britt Robertson, she plays the rebel with a good heart, Aubrey. Although it is technically a rom-com, it's more of a satisfying coming of age that has its' share of sweet moments. Some may call it boring, but in my opinion, it's a beautiful honest film.
2. Love Me If You Dare/Jeux d'enfants (French, 2003)
I only watched this film because this summer (March-May in my country), I decided to watch films from different countries and see which country comes out on top. However, that episode will come soon. So, just so you know, I haven't watched any other French film before this one, so I'm not familiar with how they do films out there.
Love Me if You Dare is a beautiful debut from the director. It doesn't pack much laughs, and is better on the romance side of things. For me, this movie had one of, if not the, sweetest ending ever along with the most bittersweet scenes. The two main characters, Julien and Sophie, are childhood friends who dare each other to do insane things like ruining a wedding. However, when they are much older, things get complicated when Sophie falls for Julien. It sounds like a typical rom-com, but trust me, it is not. You just have to watch the story unfold before you.
1. Flipped (2010)
Based on the novel by Wendelin Van Draanen which I read after watching the movie (my motto: "Movies before books"), this is my second all-time favorite film next to Donnie Darko. This is the cutest thing ever. The story revolves around Bryce Loski, the new neighbor, and Julie Baker, the sweet too-naive-for-her-own-good country girl. Bryce absolutely loathes Julie and her sycamore tree, but the latter is obsessed with him. Things get shaky when Bryce starts to fall in love with Julie, but she starts to dislike him day by day. What's worse? Bryce's dad is a dick and hates the Bakers.
You may or may not know that I don't watch movies more than twice, because I'm more of a TV person, but I broke my rule for this and Donnie Darko. This is just a fun, simple film that will make you go back to times when you were younger.
Next: Beats Battle
No comments:
Post a Comment